A pension foundation is a foundation founded by an employer with the exclusive purpose of safeguarding the payment of pension to employees or employees’ survivors. The foundation’s assets must therefore be invested prudently.
With regard to pension foundations as referred to in section 9a of the Safeguarding of Pension Commitments, etc. Act (1967:531), i.e. foundations that safeguard the payment of pension to at least 100 persons, the supervision is divided between FI and the county administrative boards as of 1 January 2006. The legal supervision lies with the county administrative boards, while FI is responsible for the supervision of the asset management and processing applications for suitability assessment for management personnel.
FI's main tasks include:
- having the foundation in its register
- reviewing the fund's investment guidelines
- exercising supervision of the foundation's credit assessment procedures
- assessing the suitability of the chair of the board, board members or alternate board members
- receiving notifications of cross-border operations
- as needed informing the foundation about remarks regarding the asset management
- as needed issuing an injunction on the foundation to implement corrections if it is not following the rules in the investment guidelines.
- as needed issuing an injunction on the foundation to implement corrections if it is not following the rules in the investment guidelines
- FI charges and annual supervision fee of SEK 20,000.
- FI charges a fee of SEK 16,800 for each application for a suitability assessment.
- In order to handle an application in accordance with section 31, fifth paragraph of the Safeguarding of Pension Commitments, etc. Act on no longer applying the rules set out in section 9a, first paragraph, FI charges a fee of SEK 7,000.
Regulations and general guidelines
The following regulations and general guidelines are some of the provisions that apply to pension foundations in full or in part as of 1 January 2016.
- FFFS 1998:22 Ethical issues
- FFFS 2019:19 Regulations regarding pension foundations